My New Blog: TF Workshop

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Travertine Backsplash #2

Today I cut the brick pattern tiles, which are 3" x 6". Continuing on from yesterday, I cut the long pieces in 6x6 tiles, then cut them in half. Doing it this way helps keeps them square.


Here are some of tiles, showing both the lighter and darker patterns.

Here is a picture of the cutting fixture I made to create the pieces for the harlequin pattern behind the stove. The guide on the right goes over the fence to keep it straight as it moves back and forth. The piece at an angle, along with the c-clamp, sets up the cut. I will use this sled for various cuts during installation.


Here is the pattern laid out on a piece of plywood, with the rope tile framing it.


In total, I spent about 6 hours on the tile saw today, and 2 hours yesterday to make all these pieces. I bought the tile for 3.50 a sq ft. If I bought all of this pre-cut, the minimum price would be $15 a sf, and more likely around $20. All this adds up to about a $400 savings for 8 hours worth of work. This would have been a long haul if I didn't like doing it...

[Click here for full Photo Set]

No comments: