My New Blog: TF Workshop

Friday, March 16, 2007

Kitchen Island - Installation in Progress

Well, I spent the last month on the tablesaw and not on the keyboard. I had good intentions to take tons of photos and post every step - didn't happen.

The island has turned out great so far. I finshed building the cabinet boxes and main base. I set them in place and applied beadboard to the exposed surfaces. My DW primed everything while I was out of town and started to apply the base green color.


The dining room end of the island shown here has display / book shelves.

We spent quite a while playing with inches to get the maximum cabinets space, and also allow for seating. We can comfortably fit two stools in the 50" wide opening.

The other end cabinet is 23 inches deep for an appliance lift (see below). This gave us just enough space - 4.5 inches - to add a bottle rack to the back. It will fit wine bottle, but since we don't drink much, we'll have flavored syrup bottles displayed.

We put quite a number of outlets into the island. Since the wire is surface mounted, code requires it to be shielded by conduit. This flexible plastic option worked well. The cabinet with the lift and the center cabinet will have small appliances in them all the time. The in-cabinet outlets will keep the cords in order.

Here is the appliance lift harware. I need to build the shelf this weekend.


[Link to photo set]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering, as I've been reading these, how did the design phase go? Did DW have a bunch of ideas and you put them in place? Did she have a style she liked and you're replicating it for her? Was there consensus on style? Perhaps she should blog this aspect...

TGIF-S

Troy Farwell said...

Those are really good questions. I will ask her to put her thoughts down. I will post my thoughts above as well.

Thanks!