My New Blog: TF Workshop

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Installing Granite - Part Six: Grouting - Done!


The granite installation is complete. It took longer than I wanted it to, mainly due to traveling and other family activites (skiing - yeah!). We grouted the joints using Spectra-Lock epoxy grout. As you can see in the photos, the joints are hardly noticable. We mixed 4 parts black with 1 part brown to match the stone color.

Here are my observations on using expoxy grout for the first time:

  • The instructions were very clear and straightforward.
  • Mixing the stuff is easy.
  • I had about 10 times what I needed for this counter-top, since there are very few joints. Next time (doing the island and hutch) I will mix a 1/3 or 1/4 batch.
  • It flows nicely. I used a small rubber float with no problems. Its more sticky than regular grout, which I think works to your advantage. (Note: I have grouted thousands of joints working in masonry - if you are new to this, it may be bit more challenging)
  • Clean-up was simple. You use water with a little bit of white vinegar, and the residue comes right off.
  • It takes a long time to dry. Its been in about 6 hours and is still slightly soft. Make sure to allow for over-night dry time.

Here is the corner - the location with the most joints:

Here is how I decided to do the under-mount sink with the tiles (the blue tape is to mask for the grout). We kept the tile back by the faucet to make a space for sponges / scrubbers without having them sit on the granite. We think this will keep the counter cleaner.

So, would we do these very large granite tiles again? Yes - for a total of $25 a square foot ($20 for the granite and about $5 for everything else) we are very happy with the quality of the counter top.

[Link to photo set]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

truly beautiful! Your countertops and cabinets are first rate. Love the colors, textures, everything! I hope my kitchen can turn out as well. Thank you very much for sharing all of this. It's perfect for us DIYers to reference.

Stonera systems said...

This is a very Useful and good Blog about Epoxy for Granite. There are many Blogs about this topic but it is Good One Thanks for Sharing It.